SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beautiful offshore moment
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-04-2009 Thread Starter
oceangirl

Beautiful offshore moment

I was thinking about how many stories we swap about fun times, hardship, repairs, even scary times and I thought to try to start a thread focusing on a beautiful offshore experience. Ive never started a thread before and I am new to this web forum thingy stuff so I hope this is okay.

Here is one of the many times God has knocked my socks off while sailing offshore.

One day in the Atlantic, I was sailing along with seas off the beam, my boat fell off an especially large wave into a trough. In the trough, we were surrounded by a wall of deep blue water about as high as the spreaders (beautiful!). Anyways, it was a bright sunny day, we fell off this big wave into a trough, and off my beam in the wall of the next wave is a 20 ft pilot whale. The whale was above me looking down into the cockpit, and I was looking up at him into the wave. He was maybe 15 feet away, running parallel to the boat, his head even with the cockpit. I had the pilot whales complete profile from nose to tail and our eyes met! Never in all my imagination would I of thought Id have to look up to see a whale. That is the great thing about the ocean, it defies even my wildest imagination.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome