SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beautiful offshore moment
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Do you mind if I share a story from the Great Lakes?
Not off shore, but still relevant in my opinion.

Every season we return at least twice to our home Port; it is an 85nautical mile sail. One season, I don't even remember which one it was, we were sailing home, and I always leave after midnight and sail all night to arrive the next day. We always enjoy the night sky and love to watch the stars.
On this particular night, I go on deck to relieve my wife Julie in the cockpit; she explains to me how wonderful the starts are tonight. I sheepishly nod my head and mumble a "I bet they are." No, No really. She says look up.

I turned my head to the heavens and I was in awe.
I have never seen anything like it in my life and I have never seen anything like it again.

We did not see "Stars", we saw the entire Milky Way. I cannot describe it other than to say that what I saw was a "White Cloud" of heaven. You simply did not see individual stars, but we saw a “Cloud”. The cockpit was lit up as if we had an LED in our rigging. You could read a book with out any assistance. It was amazing, a once in a lifetime experience; words do not do justice to the experince.
Very Cool!!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook