SailNet Community - View Single Post - Comfort At Anchor
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
My wife really hates rolly anchorages. I mean like it is an obsession for her, she simply will not tolerate it. She would much prefer that we ran aground on a reef than have a bad night at anchor, and if we do ever happen to have a bad night it would clearly be my fault.

In order to maintain marital bliss, I am very careful and have a few suggestions.

-Read cruising guides. Realise however that they are not infallible.

-Nothing beats local or cruiser knowledge.....tides/swell/wind can be tricky enough to figure out, however only prior experience will let you know about the swarming sand flies, or inter-island ferries that speed past every two hours until 1am

-I have yet to find any roll stabilization device that has worked FOR ME....the problem may however lie with me and not the devices.

-I always pick anchorages cautiously, if it's going to blow overnight I tuck up in the protected but maybe otherwise boring inlet... I don't let myself get tempted to risk the more exposed anchorage by the pretty beach

-Check your Depths, factoring in tide of course " Honey wake up, why is the boat leaning over??"

-Lots of Rode, paranoia about dragging whether justified or not always ruins a night at anchor.

Best wishes.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook