SailNet Community - View Single Post - Comfort At Anchor
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
If you're in a really rolly anchorage that's beam to you (or even sometimes on your bow) - On the side of the boat that you want to face the rolls, take two long lines from your anchor snubber and hook one line to your bow cleat on that side and the other to the midship or stern cleat on that same side. This will put you sideways to the roll. As the roll tries to push you over, your anchor will hold that side of the boat steady, so you won't roll. I wouldn't recommend it in really heavy winds (beam to the wind), but it works great in your standard rolly anchorage! Since you won't be bow to the wind, you may have to really work at it to get your snubber to reach your midship or your stern. Also, make sure your snubber lines are long enough - I don't know what the formula should be, but on our 40' boat we have two 25' lines connected to our snubber and they just barely make it (one to bow, one to stern, so the snubber is less than 10' off the side of the boat and it's REALLY hard to pull into the stern cleat). We were in an anchorage a few weeks back - Little San Salvador in the Bahamas - where even the catamarans were rolling hard, and this trick completely stopped our roll.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook