SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tayana 55 1988/90 is she good for serious oceans crossing???
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nope...I had a 52 and prefer it to the 55...but if the question is...is it built well to cross oceans...my answer is that there are few better at any price and none in the same range.
Problem areas tend to be tanks...removal and replacement is a big job. Decks...20 year old teak decks can cause big repairs IF they have not been well cared for...but the teak is thick and ours (1987) were absolutely no problem as they had been well cared for.

You have to also consider the draft and mast height on the 55. It is a bit deep for some places and too tall for the ICW. Other places it is not an issue.

Note that the mainsail is huge and you absolutely need help in handling it...roller furling, boom furling, battcar/stowaway system or similar and perhaps a power winch for raising and putting in a reef. I'm a VERY big guy...and ours exhausted me till we got the winch...and it is smaller than the 55. Be sure you are capable of doing it manually too though...can't rely on electrics!
Peter Beeldsnijder is the designer...unlike the Perry designed 37 and 52...but Bob apparently likes the boat too based on his review. Me...I like the 52 ...and she sailed like a dream and was soooo seakindly compared to all our other boats.

That said...either boat has a wonderful liveaboard space and craftsmanship b elow decks you don't find today...and either will take you anywhere in safety and comfort.