SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 17 or Hobie Wave
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for a Hobie, skip the Wave and the smaller one. If you want a new boat look at the Getaway. Definitely a family boat, but still tons of fun. If you don't wnat to drop $3K on a daysailer, look at Hobie 16's. You can fit two adults very comfortably, 3 adults are OK, and 4 adults are possible if two of them are lightweights and there isn't much wind. You can find them for around $1K in good shape.

If you want a fun boat your kids will want to sail as they get older definitly go with a catamaran and not a mono daysailer. I started on Hobie 16's then got an 18 then started sailing on 70' schooners. I now own a Pearson 30. Sailing a larger cruiser is easy compared to the Hobies.

My advice is take a spin on the kinds of boats you are looking for before purchasing. See what you like. If you are intersted in Hobies, look up the fleet in your area. Hobie sailors are a very social and helpful group of people and will be glad to get you out on thier boats. The Hunter dealer should let you demo the boat.
________
Find headshop

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook