SailNet Community - View Single Post - Psychological Effects of Cruising
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
After my January single handed Gulf crossing I tied up in a marina for a few days to just be able to rest and avoid the anchor watch I was so spent. For the first five or six nights I woke up repeatedly throughout the night in complete panic knowing something was wrong.

Five months in now those late night starts have faded. It seems my body and mind have become used to the transition between being on guard 24/7 during a passage and the relative calm of being on the hook in a protected anchorage. I still wake instantly at the slightest unusual sound that could indicate something isn't right, but most nights I sleep soundly even after coming off passage.

I too am curious what the transition will be like if when I do ever move back to shore. For now, I'd rather wake startled at the sound of the anchor alarm due to a wind shift than to an alarm clock telling me it's time to s***, shower, and shave cause I have to go to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook