SailNet Community - View Single Post - Costa Rica to Galveston
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
I'll be sailing past Costa Rica in a few weeks heading south. I originated in Kemah, TX on the Gulf Coast. I did the crossing in big winds from Kemah, TX to Isla Mujers, Mexico in five days four hours, but 5 - 8 days is the ordinary.

Mileage will be around 1300 nautical miles give or take depending on your route. You could do it in very few stops in as little as a week in a half if weather cooperates or it could take a month or more. July down here is a bad time for this trip due to potentially very strong trades and the more rare, but possible early season hurricane.

No good cruising guides for Costa Rica which is kind of a problem. You can get electronic charts for the region from MapTech which is what i am using for electronic navigation. Also have paper charts from Discounted Nautical Charts, Reproductions, Electronic Charts & Navigational Software | Bellingham Chart Printers.

I know plenty of professional delivery captains around Galveston Bay if you need contacts for the delivery. Best of luck,

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook