SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I understand completely staying where the job is. I understand completely that rent is expensive. What I don't understand is how you can in one breath say you know next to nothing about marine maintenance but are "eager to learn" and yet try to state that it is less expensive to live on a boat with the associated costs than it would be to live in an RV. or trailer. It is only less expensive to live on a boat than it is to live on an RV if you do not do regular maintenence.

An RV or trailer would absolutely, 100% be less expensive. Even if you do the work yourself, the parts that are of suitable material for a marine environment are much, much more expensive than those you can use on land.

Look, I'm really not trying to beat you up and I hope that something wonderful comes your way. I'm coming at this from a place of concern. If it happens that you are gifted a boat, I'm happy for you and your family. I'm just afraid that you do not have a realistic view to the hidden costs of boat ownership. My fear is that you will be given a boat and it will eventually be a curse, not a gift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook