SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propane Cabin Heater
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Which force 10 is it? Is it the one that is rounded with an open flame or is it the square one with the window?

The rounded one came with my boat. It is less than impressive. Basically it is a propane stove burner with an exhaust vent. So it's no better than just running the stove and making tea except for the fact that it vents out the moisture created by propane combustion.

We use the stove when we have to because it's all we have for now, but it doesn't do much for heating the boat. All it can manage is taking the chill off our 41ft saloon, no temp change in the bedroom. It also cooks through propane at an impressive rate. A 5gal bottle every week or so when cruising in the spring/fall.

My favorite types of heating are solid fuel and dickenson diesel heaters. The tiny-tot stoves are great looking little solid fuel stoves. I had a cole-stove now made by dickenson which worked well enough. It wasn't airtight though which made it hard to control the flame. Duraflame type logs worked the best and it was easy to make the boat 100deg while it was snowing outside.

The dickenson diesel heaters are awesome as well. Simple, reliable, lots of heat. I feel fine leaving them on at night while I sleep. Some of them are cookstoves as well, but unless you're in alaska and run it all day they're a pain to try and actually cook with.

MedSailor