SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cotter pin?
Thread: Cotter pin?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 06-08-2009
Senior Member
Omatako's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 2,705
Thanks: 1
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 14
Just for interest, the reason I put the words cotter pin in parenthasis in the post above is because I have a different understanding of th term cotter pin. Here's why:

In the United States, cotter pin (also known as a cotter keyFact|date=August 2007 or a split pin) is a metal fastener with two stems that are bent during installation, similar to a staple or rivet. Typically made of wire with a half-circular cross section, cotter pins come in multiple sizes and types.
In the UK, the term split pin has traditionally been used to describe the same device. [ [Split Pins Split Pins at] ] [ [Split Pins Split Pins at Stig's Stainless Fasteners] ] [ [Split Pin (Cotter Pin) in Stainless Steel Split Pins at Stainless Steel Solutions] ] The term "cotter pin" is reserved for the tapered round cotter that was used to fix bicycle pedal cranks to their shaft, being installed offset from the diameter of the driven crank, flat on one side to prevent rotation and tapered so as to tighten the entire union. The different usage between the two countries is often a cause of confusion when companies of both countries work together.

This quote came from here: Cotter pin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Omatako is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome