SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009

WTP is on a distinguished road
Hey Ron, Thanks for the tips.

So I went to Charleston this weekend...my plan was to pull it out at high tide (7:47pm) so the current wouldn't be so strong. We had a few problems but finally got the boat on the trailer and out of the water. You were right...it was nasty.. It had been in salt water for at least 4 years maybe more. and we were wrong...it was a fin keel.

The mast was very tough to get down...all the rigging was very stiff and tight. I undid 1 of the stays on each side(the one that goes to the top of the mast..not sure what those are called) and took the forestay pin and my friend lowered it to me. It took 3 of us and was almost impossible to get the mast pins out. But we did and drove it 2 hours back to Columbia,...didn't get back til 4:30am.

The last 2 days, I have been cleaning the hell out of it...scrapped the bottem and pressure washed it. Its pretty smooth now. I was surprised but It appears to have no blisters. Im ready to put it back in the water now, but being how its so hard to raise and lower the mast, I want to find a permanent place to keep it where I can leave it up and rigged ready to go.

I do have a few questions though:

1) Do you know the Cal 22's rating?...if I were interested in racing it
2) Does the sail number indicate when it was produced. Mine is 57..does that mean it was the 57th produced.
3) i had a few more...but can't think of them right now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook