SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tayana 55 1988/90 is she good for serious oceans crossing???
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Jeff

I beleive 32,000 as I took it off multiple travellifts over the years.

Only comment on even bigger is a few years ago we were headed south in the fall and waiting on a window off Old Point Comfort. Also waiting was a Tayana 58. They left a day before us on a front and actually left before the front had fully passed. They did a straight shot to Miami and had the northerly push them the whole way. 3 total crew [husband, wife, friend]- fully mechanized boat.

Now they were all experienced, but when we traded emails said it was a little bouncy for the first 24 hrs then great ride. We left a day later, it was still bouncy by our standards 25-30 knots, 8-10 ft out of the northwest...I'm sure it was worse a day earlier. We had a great ride to Charleston but ran out of air before we got there. If we had left earlier could have made it all the way on one tack. FWIW we did not push the boat at all and were comfortable with a #3 and a reef in the main. In fact as the wind died and came aft we let out the reef and added the staysail.

Difference was they are over 50' WL length we are 40. It's the delta between 7-8 knots avg and 10+.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook