SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Madame,
I'll keep this on the topic for you. I'm sure that you are quite capable of keeping the bilges clean and dry, along with the other routine housekeeping on board. My concern, and that of those others whom seriously answered your original post, is that you've already ended up with a seriously structurally deficient boat and we see little hope or prospect that you will end up with anything more than that in the future.

Anyone with the modicum of knowledge that it takes to maintain, let alone restore, a boat knows that structural deficiencies, such as a delaminating transom are the best reason to walk away from any boat, free or otherwise. The problem with them is that, while the boat may be free, it will not stay that way and the costs to restore it exorbitant. My concern is that you did not observe the deficiencies in the present boat and that you are neither more knowledgeable about surveying boats than you were then, nor more able to effect repairs.

Your problems do not exist because "someone left out the details". Your problems exist because you got approximately just what you were paying for and now the bill comes due. It is my heartfelt wish that you not go through this again and that you seek lodging on shore so that there can be some light at the end of the economic tunnel in your future. Far wealthier people than you and your family have come a cropper on keeping a boat afloat.

The best of luck to you and your family.