SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 50 DS - offshore passagemaker?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
They do not make the list, probably due to lack of tankage among other items. And that list is made up by one person.

Now to say that a Jeanneau 50DS can not make an ocean passage, That would be hogwash IMHO! Zanshin is cruising on his 2nd DS model, not sure where all he has been, but Au from the Caribbean is on the list. Most if not all of the charter boats got to the Caribbean on their own WL, not a boat!

The owner of the local, ie Seattle for me, took a SO49iP down to Oz and back over two yrs with his family. No issues. IIRC rubyslippers.com is the blog web addy. If not, go to marineservicenter.com and you can get a link. That boat currently is for sale, with all the bells and whistles needed for long distance crusing. Depending upon you view for boat layouts, if you want a DS, it is not.

In last year ARC, IIRC there were 15-18 Jeanneaus from 37' on up the most popular boat. The world ARC has 4 50'ish' Jeanneau, again, the most of any boat brand!

With the above in mind, granted the BIGGEST numbers of boats built by one brand, one would expect a few more than other brands, but they are plenty capible of going offshore. Now if you want to do a roaring 40 circumnav........better find a different boat!

Marty