SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Citation 34 Owners Question

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
OK, So what the heck are those two large fiberglass things sticking out of the cabin top behind the mast?? Lots of ideas come to me about how they could be used, but what the heck are they there for?:confused:

#5 · (Edited)
I added a picture on my gallery. In this picture the dorade blank is to port of the rear hatch. If you look carefully you can see its twin through the plastic on the hatch . I wish I had a better picture than that, but if you look closely it's fairly clear.. there are two of them, side by side.

Attachments

#6 ·
While we're on the subject of the differences between the early 34s and the later ones, I happened to be looking at an '85 two days ago and noticed a major difference in the keels. Mine is well fared with a 1 1/2 or 2 inch radii at the keel to hull location. The '85 had no faring at all at the keel to hull point. Strictly a 90 degree joint. It was cracked as well, actually breaking the bottom paint at the joint. I had thought that Irwins had an encapsulated keel with no bolts. With this kind of joint I now know I am mistaken. So I wonder where the keel bolts are on an Irwin 34. Anyone know? I e-mailed the owner of the '85. He'll probably never speak to me again. I think he wants to launch next week. I'd be more than a little nervous.

#9 · (Edited)
There's nothing on the inside to indicate they're even there. I think they're just blanks if you wanted to make dorade vents yourself. I have plenty of ventilation and think they'd be a good spot to mount an inflatable life raft. I'll go check the bilge tomorrow. The boom traveler is in front of the companionway.

#11 ·
Question....

I am considering a 1985 Citation 34. Shoal draft (4-ft 3-in) model.

One boat review in particular is causing me problems and has me questioning if its even worthwhile going ahead with the expense of survey & haul out is the review by Jack Hornor in the November 2000 issue of Spinsheets - Chesapeake Bay Sailing

"...the decks, on the other hand, are a different story. The deck and hull are joined on an inward flange with sheet metal screws through an extruded aluminum toe rail. There have been more than a few problems with the fit of the deck-to-hull joint, and leaks are a common problem that are difficult and expensive to repair due to inaccessibility.

Although some of the deck hardware is attached with nuts, bolts and washers, the lifeline stanchions, bow and stern rails are fastened with screws. This is not only unsafe, but loosening fittings allow water to penetrate the balsa core decks leading to very expensive repairs. Leaks around poorly fit windows and ports are also common but are more easily remedied."

The boat looks generally clean with no obvious signs of water damage.
However, this review is causing considerable angst.
What is the conventional wisdom on the Citation, from y'all current Citation owners --- and on the article by Jack Hornor?

tks
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.