SailNet Community - View Single Post - Strong young man looking for adventure. Experienced and Hearty.
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanissa View Post
I have put the captain and Mike in contact.
The captain of Anna is a friend who does not do internet so I have posted his need for crew on Crewseekers and Bolina in Italy as well as having responed to Mike's post.
Being that they are both grown men they can make their own choices as to the need of references.
This is not a service I provide, just doing a friend a favor.
Captainissa,

That's great! Hopefully this will work out well for the captain of Anna and Mike.

Mike is a "strong young man" and will have to watch out for himself now. But we try to be careful here about folks popping up and persistently seeking information. I am happy to believe that your intentions were nothing but helpful. However, if you go back and read your first six or seven posts objectively, I think even you will agree that they would elicit a cautious response from anyone with common sense.

I had a similar opportunity during college where I signed on as crew with someone I essentially knew nothing about. We hopped around the Med for several successive summers aboard that boat and had some of the most memorable experiences of my life.

So yes, it can work out well under the right circumstances. And trust as always is still important. But with the advent of the Internet, the initial contacts tend to be impersonal so it's always best to begin with a skeptical eye until the situation becomes more clear. The additional info you provided here (and presumably to Mike) goes a long way in that respect.

P.S. Welcome to Sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook