SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
I had two good sails last weekend, not sure if they qualify as BFS but they were cool to me.

First we went racing on an 84 Olson 30, winds were 15 to 25 kts. As soon as we left the harbor the wire outhaul snapped. We were able to jury rig it with the flattener (?). So we are headed down wind to get to the area where the race was going to be and we raised the spin, got over 10kts. Things were going smooth until we had a wind shift that nearly broached the boat, with the tip of our mast just about 4 to 5 feet off the water. WOOOOHOOO!!!! We ended up placing 3rd in the race out of 7 boats, we didn't take the favored tack whihc sucked but it was still fun to sail. I got to take the helm all the way back and we were burying the leeward deck, what a nice boat.

After the race was done, we went to my C-25 and took her out. We had like 8 people on board as we had invited our powerboat slip neighbors. Didn't plan on that many but oh well, we have plenty of life jackets. Even though it was still very windy I chose my 130 which was a bad choice as it soon over powered the boat and people got scared. So we took the foresail down and sailed like that for about a half hour until I couldn't stand it any longer. We were making less than 2 kts. So I had my girl hank on the 110 and BOOM, we were in business. One of the guys sailing with us is a huge man and he became my secret weapon in terms of displacement. Once I got everyone how they need to be with legs hanging down on the windward side we started ROCKING. I actually pulled 6.9 kts out of my little Catalina, which broke my previous speed record of 6.3 kts.

So to me, a couple BFS's. I even had everyone yelling this phrase on my boat! I think I might have converted the powerboaters, they had a blast as well.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook