SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bomar portlights?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
Bomar portlights?

I've been going through my 1985 26' Seafarer replacing or repairing everything that even looks suspect and have gotten around to the hatches and portlights. They are seriously crazed!

I got a good deal on a 1/2 sheet of smoked plexi and have already replaced the plexi panels in the two opening Bomar hatches - quite easy really. But I'm stuck on the opening portlights. There are two of them on either side, they measure approximately 4 1/2 x 11 1/2 x 1/4. They have four hinge points held onto the aluminum frame of the lense with tiny screws - taking these out allows you to remove the lense from the rest of the port. The aluminum frame is joined top and bottom by what looks to be 4 pressed holes into the frame (there must be an aluminum bar inside the frame that they're presssed into). I'd post a pic but not sure if that will really help.

My assumption, because of the Bomar hatches, is that these are Bomar as well. I've Googled the web looking for replacement lenses but haven't come up with anything even remotely close looking.

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement lenses? The prices I'm seeing for replacement portlights is stupid expensive x 4! I thought I could simply remove the aged plexi but that looks like a pretty big deal considering I'd have to drill the press points to separate the frame halves and then try to figure out how to re-assemble them with something.

Thoughts gentlemen?

john
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook