SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bomar portlights?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
Polishing is out as the crazing looks just like auto safety glass that's been shatered - MANY small cracks. Never heard of the blow-torch flash refinishing but don't think it would help here either.

I was originally planning on replacing the plexi in each of the lenses myself but am worried about how to go about putting them back together once I separate the two halves of the lense frame. They look as though they were never intended to have the plexi replaced, otherwise there'd be screws or something holding them together. The frame must be hollow (extruded?) aluminum and where the two halves are joined there are tiny press-mark holes. My assumption is that there is some solid metal underneath this part of the frame and the the press-marks bind into that. I can drill these out and probably get the two halves separated and insert new plexi but other than gluing it back together (not my first choice) I'm unsure of how to re-join the two halves.

I'd be willing to spend the money if I could FIND just the lenses but that's the other part of the problem here - I can't locate anything even close to what these look like.

john
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook