SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fire Extinguisher Locations
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Third on the fireblanket...guess why I got rid of the alcohol stove! And my eyebrows for a couple of months...

As for the boat, I use the "in/out" logic...Any place with the potential of a a fire, I put in an extinguisher. But I also put an extinguisher in places where I would need to suppress a fire to get out, such as in a sleeping area/V-berth, or in the cockpit so I could douse a fire down the companionway.

In the steel pilothouse, I currently have fire extinguishers in the galley, in a pilothouse berth and at the base of the companionway (the titular engine bay extinguisher). In order to feel safer, I will add one for the aft cabin (only one exit via the pilothouse, so it's a definite!), one for the bow section "workshop" (an obviously source of flammables and potentially sparky tools), and one or maybe two actually on deck with weatherproof covers, so I can spray *into* the boat if needed.

Lastly, given that my engine bay has the room and is otherwise "confined", I believe a Fireboy-style fire suppression system makes good sense, although a "fire port" could probably do the trick.

The greater danger on a steel boat is toxic smoke from burning insulation and wiring: if you can get the fire down quickly enough, you stand a good chance of saving the boat, because it's hard to damage the hull...well, quickly, anyway.