SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying Scot
Thread: Flying Scot
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009

merryprankster is on a distinguished road
Flying Scot

Found a Flying Scot for $2500 that needs a bit of work. Wondering if someone could help me determine whether its worth it?

I'm working up to 35'+ cruiser but want to get something to hold me over...

This is what seller told me.

19' Flying Scot #3442 for sale. Excellent, well-built family daysailer/racer. Good condition, needs cleanup and sorting out. Two mainsails, jibs and spinnakers. Galvanized trailer

The boat was part of a school until it was put away in a messy way.

The work needed is more than cosmetic. If the work was just cosmetic, I'd be asking more for the boat.

The halyard winches at the base of the mast needs to be lubricated and maybe new halyards are needed. I can't find the winch handle specific to the halyard winches.

The bottom has blisters and if the boat were to be raced or kept in the water, these would need to be addressed. Otherwise they are stable and if the boat were drysailed, could be left in their present condition.

The bottom blisters can be seen on shot #2033
The Shrouds look quite good (in my opinion).
I don't know what that is in the forepeak...
I don't know what those little glassed-in squares are in the stern...gas tank mount?

I crawled around tapping and stomping on the fiberglass and found no saturated areas. Everything is firm.

The centerboard well gasket seems OK.
The axle on the trailer shows rust at the U-bolts. I wouldn't drive it to Alaska, but a little bearing grease should get you down the road. I do not know about whether the lights function.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook