SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be sorry Martinini. It's great when a sailor has the skills and the wits to live cheaply onboard. Even in the expensive cruising grounds of Long Island, there many who have figured it out. Some out of necessity.
There are quite a few free boats out there too whose owners either can no longer afford to maintain or pay storage fees or have poor or declining health. If the owner has no time, and it seems few do, or don't have the knowledge, about donating to organizations that want boats they will abandon boats. Last year, when I was still working in the marina business, in a high end area of Long Island, I had 3 of my customers come to me for help to give their boats away. They had tried selling them or giving them away but had no luck. All three were great boats from 22 feet to 33 feet. I was pretty shocked, these folks suddenly found they were broke and couldn't afford to even transport the boats to their backyards or didn't want to. They had more serious problems and little time to deal with the boats. Finding a free boat in more expensive areas may be a good bet, with some digging and being in the right place at the right time. I must have made 50 phone calls trying to match up boats and folks looking. I was only successful in helping one customer, the other two boats ended up abandoned at the boat yard. Now they're their are the responsibility of the boat yard and the marina/yard was unsuccessful selling them last fall... surprise, surprise and have to keep maintaining them, paying insurance and hope they'll find a buyer or go to small claims court.
My scammer radar went off reading the original post here, but in case I was wrong, I was willing to offer what help I could, which unfortunately was next to none.
(I did call the marina about those two boats, but they are not interested in giving those abandoned boats away for a myriad of reasons, the least of which are title issues).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook