SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why has this board gone stale?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005

dpboatnut is on a distinguished road
Why has this board gone stale?

I was going to write something with a similar subject title a whule ago, but refrained, thinking it was just me or something.

I''ve rather enjoyed listening to the "experts" calmly and rationally explain their views and experiences on this board. Lately though, there have been some new experts that seem to lack the ability to rationally discuss their views, and insist on replying to nearly every thread with either third-party hack quotes or CE regulations or irrational insults.

I almost imagined that with the sale of Sailnet - that''s about when I started to notice a change of "tone"- the new owner hired some out of work call center workers to provide some volume to the board to keep the illusion of community alive. So some guy in India has a stack of old Sail or Good Old Boat magazines, maybe even a computer to google stuff, and every time he sees a post, he flips through them to see if he can find an article to paraphrase, and then flings it back at us as only a non-english speaking non-sailor could. That''s -I hope- a bit extreme, but that is the level of discourse to which it feels the serious questions have been brought. So instead of nuanced, interesting discussions, we get endless drivel as if reprocessed from mass-market mediocre magazines. Or "sailing anarchy" -like stupid insults.

Just barely respectfully,
Chad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook