SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying Scot
Thread: Flying Scot
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
There are a couple of Scot sailors that poke their heads in from time to time here. My comments are below in green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryprankster View Post
Found a Flying Scot for $2500 that needs a bit of work. Wondering if someone could help me determine whether its worth it?

I'm working up to 35'+ cruiser but want to get something to hold me over...

This is what seller told me.

19' Flying Scot #3442 for sale. Excellent, well-built family daysailer/racer. Good condition, needs cleanup and sorting out. Two mainsails, jibs and spinnakers. Galvanized trailer

That boat was probably built in 1979 or 1980 (rough estimate). Boats that age are listed for ~$4000 (http://fssa.com/ht/shop/shop-caveat-emptor.htm). One big question is who built the boat. For most of the 70's there were two builders, Douglass (the designer's firm) and Customflex (licensee). Customflex had their license cancelled at the end of the 70's, partially due to quality concerns. Customflex Scots sell for much less than Douglass built boats.

The boat was part of a school until it was put away in a messy way.

The work needed is more than cosmetic. If the work was just cosmetic, I'd be asking more for the boat.

The halyard winches at the base of the mast needs to be lubricated and maybe new halyards are needed. I can't find the winch handle specific to the halyard winches.

Winch lubrication is part of regular maintenance, they are incredibly durable and a couple of drops of a teflon lube will have these winches ready to go. New halyard kits are sold by Flying Scot Inc. (the renamed Douglass Boatworks). A new set of halyards (wire) will run you ~$100.

The bottom has blisters and if the boat were to be raced or kept in the water, these would need to be addressed. Otherwise they are stable and if the boat were drysailed, could be left in their present condition.

This is the biggest concern. I have never heard of blisters on a Scot. Some suffer from rot in the balsa core but blisters...? You may want to post over at the Flying Scot Sailing Association forum to see if they have any input on this.

The bottom blisters can be seen on shot #2033 (Scary)
The Shrouds look quite good (in my opinion). (Easy to replace if they are not)
I don't know what that is in the forepeak... (Bow flotation bag, required along with the 4"diameter transom port for racing. Scots do not have a bailer, if you swamp, you can be towed dry by a motor boat. The bow bag raises the bow and the transom port is opened and as the water flows out the rear. That one looks seriously deflated, you may need to get a new one.)
I don't know what those little glassed-in squares are in the stern...gas tank mount? (Your guess is a good as mine. The outboard bracket is mounted on the transom. Those blocks may have been put there for a tank, or may have been put in to hold poles, paddles, etc.)

I crawled around tapping and stomping on the fiberglass and found no saturated areas. Everything is firm.

That is very good news.

The centerboard well gasket seems OK.
The axle on the trailer shows rust at the U-bolts. I wouldn't drive it to Alaska, but a little bearing grease should get you down the road. I do not know about whether the lights function.

I cut the pictures, but my general comment on this boat is it was not well cared for. The bottom and the seats are full of water. As it is a balsa cored hull you don't want to leave the boat full like a bathtub. It should be covered and/or tilted so the water drains out the back. This is also a problem for the stantion/compression post. It is wood and not fun to replace if it rots. The wood holding the jib sheet blocks is in serious need of TLC. The stainless hardware is showing rust/discoloration in many places (jib tracks, standing rigging, etc.). I agree with the previous statements, not a boat in good shape, will need probably all new lines and alot of time. When I was looking for mine I saw a boat in better condition listed for $5000 but I passed it up because it had some of the same issues you see here. Either offer them $500 and know you have a disposable boat or search for a better deal.

There are many boats in this size range available. Do your research, talk to people in your area about the boats they sail. That is how I finally got the good deal on my Flying Scot, there are many boats for sale that are not listed.

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook