SailNet Community - View Single Post - attaching wires to cabin roof
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
attaching wires to cabin roof

Hi everyone,

Another ridiculously simple question.

Sunday, I'm going down to rewire the boat. It should be mostly easy. My only concern is how do I attach the wires to the underside of the cabin roof, between the headliner and the fiberglass. I can think of a few possibilities:

a. Screw some cable-tie-tiedown thingies to the ceiling. This will penetrate the core though, even from the underside I'm not a fan of doing that. But maybe it's not that big a deal. This also will hold up to 5 16 gauge wires in a bundle, which may be a noticeable lump under the headliner.

b. Epoxy cable-tie-tiedown thingies to the ceiling. Won't penetrate the core, but that epoxy takes a while to set up. Also has the "lump" problem as above

c. Lay the 5 16 gauge wires in parallel, and epoxy some little strips of glass with a spacer of just that width, every 18". This will avoid excessive lumpiness but seems like a big time sink, as I have to somehow keep all that stuff on the ceiling until the epoxy hardens

d. Have the headliner itself support the wires in parallel, don't have any other support. Won't do this if it violates ABYC standards, which require support every 18". If the headliner counts as legitimate support, then this can be under consideration, but even then I'm not a fan of loose wires.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook