SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulfstars for Cruising?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005

flicker is on a distinguished road
Gulfstars for Cruising?

Okay. I know there are grillion Gulfstar owners out there and many more that have spent time on them. My situation is that, contrary to the advice of friends, books and Sailnet contributors, I want to purchase one compromise boat to cruise on for the rest of my life. I do want to take several years to sail the Caribbean and Central & South America. But I also want to cross oceans and maybe round a cape or two.

We will probably be using Trinidad as our home base and the only true hurricane hole there allows drafts of no more than 5 feet or so to get into it.

Though I prefer shallow boats which are a little longer and narrower such as the Departure 35, Gazelle 42, Pearson 35 and Tartan 34, my wife really likes the look and spaciousness of the Gulfstar 36, 37 & 39. She says that she could live happily in any one of them.

Frankly, they do offer nice living spaces, which is a priority most of the time, but I am concerned about their ocean-going capability. I see that they have wide bodies and very shallow keels which tend to make me think they would not handle seaways and rough weather well. But does anyone have knowledge about people using them to cruise in and whether they make acceptable blue-water boats?

For example, how many Gulfstars call on Horta?

Thanks in advance,

Chas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook