SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Wasn't trying to pi$$ anyone off here... I am currently saving my way into a mid eighties Bayfield 29. I just thought that a structurally sound boat that someone was looking to give away, I could put a lot of work into it myself and professionally as needed for $15,000 - $20,000 and still save myself $5,000 to $10,000. I could single hand for a year or two on that money.

My step father is a carpenter, I have one grandfather who is a mechanic that specializes in diesel engines and another grandfather with a machine & fabrication shop (he is a master with a welder).

This thread just peaked my curiosity on the whole abandoning issue. If someone doesn't want something that has a solid hull but needs work I thought it would be great to spend time rebuilding what has to be done, engine, rigging, interior spending time with family I don't normally see and taking them out for some sailing once the hard work is done. I wasn't saying I needed a free boat or stating a sob story.

I have been looking for a few months around me and have narrowed my choice down to the Bayfield 29, there are a few to be had but they are far from fixer uppers. BUT during all my searching I have not some across anyone at local marinas talking about abandon boats. Maybe it is just different in Canada, the sailing season is small and most boats get hauled out for the winter.

Again, sorry for rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Last edited by krozet; 06-12-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook