SailNet Community - View Single Post - reefing? problem
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1196 View Post
I just bought an older hunter 27, the other day was the first time I tried to reef the mainsail but when I tried to bring down the sail I couldn't pull the reefing point down far enough because of the sail track. All the slides pile up and I can't pull it down far enough. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong here
I think I can picture what you are describing. I'm guessing you have a reef line the leads up one side of the sail, through the tack cringle and down the other to a cleat or other method to make it fast. What you are describing is that pulling the reef line down to adjust the sail the tack cringle only comes down as far as the sail track stop which is some distance above the boom. If so, I've seen such arrangements on production boats and have a similar problem myself. It seems the builder intends that you tack the sail a foot above the boom when reefing. I've never seen anyone recommend such a practice, and seriously doubt you could get any decent sail shape that way but its the way my boat is set up and I've seen pictures of other boats like mine reefed that way.

I'm working with my sail maker to change the situation, but haven't been able to get down to the boat when he was available. I am thinking a "dogbone" through the cringle with a small block attached will allow the reefing line to run both up and down on one side of sail, which will allow me to pull the tack past the slug stop, all the way to the boom. I just need to have my sailmaker look at it and make sure that solution won't overstress anything.

HTH. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook