SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard Family Looking for a Miracle
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Good Morning Sailors, and the rest of you also.
Seems many are confused and vehemently opinionated. That's good , I guess.
Nothing more healthy than open discussion and airing of views.
I'll attempt to respond to each of you. I'm sure you'll let me know if I missed anything.

Bubb2- I read the thread you linked to. And I have to say it bolsters exactly the point I was trying to make. The buyer put his faith in the Broker and surveyor ,they got his money, and now he's screwed ! Is that a fair assessment of the situation? or am I not reading it right? My take on that-
Broker= used car salesman
Surveyor= Mechanic in pocket of aformentioned broker.
Un-informed,in-experienced,potential boat owner = easy mark for broker and surveyor.
Conclusion I draw - Maybe he should have spent more time in the library and the boatyard learning and educating himself , could have avoided present situation.
now he can spend time learning about maritime contract law.

Jim- Thanks for the race report, glad to hear you did well. Still a little cranky ? Sore muscles ? old age is tough. keep your chin up. And yes, expressing myself in a manner that is interpreted by a wide and varying audience IS a challenge. I 'll strive to do better in the future (with your help,of course).
Imagine2frolic - Allow me to clarify my "attitude" towards others (as previously pointed out , I need to improve my communication/writing skills)
I was attempting to point out that although you may NOT have a complete understanding of all the systems aboard and they seem overwhemingly complicated at first. YOU CAN LEARN and it can be rewarding and give you great piece of mind.Not to mention, should one of those systems fail when your in a less than favorable situation (is there a good situation for breakdowns) , you will be better equiped to truobleshoot and possibly repair the failure (avoiding tradjedy, or towing fees).
I have to concede that I often take for granted my ability to repair things (I refer to it as "the curse") , it has evolved from a lifetime of marginal poverty and the desire to have "things" , that I figured out early on in life, I might only get to play with second hand after I pulled them from the trash or found forgotten in someones back yard and repaired them myself w/ materials at hand.
To paraphrase- Neccesity is the mother of invention.

Sailaway21- Thank you for making my point, Many don't know the difference between Epoxy and fiberglas resin. or the different test methods available to troubleshoot problems and pinpoint the cause. That is exactly what I was trying to point out ! These truths are not disputed. What I am mystified at, is, why not LEARN ? There are piles of books on the topic,
Chapmans-new version every year
How to sail around the world- Hal Roth
Bernard Montessier- A sea vagabond's world
The thousand dollar yacht-Anthony Bailey
The complete Sailing Book- Peter cook and Barbara web
More Boatkeeper- (preceded by boatkeeper I presume) Bernard Gladstone
From a bare hull- ference mate
offshore crew-jeremy howard williams
Basic Sailing- M.B. george
The complete canvas workers guide- jim grant
designing small craft - john teale
Mariners rules of the road -william p. crawford
These are just what I pulled off the shelf behind me. I'm sure their are thousands more.
What could possibly be your objection to reading and learning? It's often how I pass my time when constrained by weather or other delays. And, I enjoy it ! every example you can give that shows someone paying to have services "professionaly" performed. I can show you 10 examples of people getting mistreated. And just as many hobbiests repairing there own sports cars,airplanes,boats,etc themselves and more often than not getting alot more out of the experience.
I didn't come out of the womb with any knowledge of boating (or anything else), I learned along the way (as we all do). One of the things I learned early on is that there is/are a never ending supply of people making false or questionable claims of abilities in an effort to influence you to hand over the cash.
I would have to suppose you would rather spend your time reading the fine print in a contract written by those, with often times, there own interests before yours, (salesmen,attorneys) than learning about a sport/lifestyle/hobby you enjoy.
I'm also considering that the reason my approach is foreign to you is because you may approach other aspects of you life in the same manner as you approach sailing. Pay somebody you want to believe knows more than you and hope you don't get ripped off.
where as I strive to pay no-one (usually because I cannot afford the outragious fees) and prefer to learn to do it myself.
Example- I wan't to learn about clamming in florida. I first read all available liturature I could find. Second-I answered an add from a commercial fisherman and explained I would like to learn to clam and would provide a days free labor in echange for the lesson. Now I clam whenever I want(and oyster also !) . he was happy for the help and I gained knowledge,a marketable skill and made an aquaintence. win-win all around.
I look forward to your responses and different interpretations of these and other sailing related issues.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook