SailNet Community - View Single Post - low-budget performance passage-maker
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005

catamount is on a distinguished road
low-budget performance passage-maker

Thanks Jack, Paul and Jeff for your comments.

Jeff, indeed "performance" is a relative term. To me it means a boat that can readily outsail my dad''s Cape Dory 36! ;-) The J35 could obviously do that, but then so could a C&C 35, with a PHRF of around 126 (Mk 1). I recognize that the J35 is probably a bit extreme for my proposed sailing (but I''m still intrigued with the concept of the sailor''s sailboat); the C&C 35 looks like it might be a better choice (and within my budget). FWIW, the Tartan 41 you mentioned strikes me as too big.

Paul, I did pull out my copy of Practical Boat Buying 6th ed. and pour through it once again. The boats reviewed there that can be found in my price range seem inadequate for offshore work (Ericson 35-2; Columbia 36), or are older full-keel heavy cruisers, which I''m trying to avoid, while the more modern boats they''ve described as being sufficiently well built for offshore work generally can''t be found in my price range.

Jack, you are a fountain of great information! Thanks! BTW, I have been following John''s preparations for his Atlantic Circle at svsarah.com and am familiar with your articles posted there.

Considering tankage, amenities, and roughing it -- the longest that one is likely to be at sea on a voyage like this is probably not more than a month or so. I can wait until I get in to port to take a nice hot shower (or I can use a solar heated gravity-fed shower), so I don''t need pressurized hot and cold fresh water plumbing for example (and a manual pump will help in conserving the resource). If I''m clever about capturing rain water to replenish the resource, I can get by without an RO watermaker (and I''ve already got an manual RO watermaker for emergency backup). But you are right, I do need to sit down and think about just how much water I need to carry so I can evaluate what the boat has and how much I will need to modify it (a gallon per person per day sticks in my head for some reason; BTW I''m envisioning a crew of 1 or 2 for longer passages and up to 3 or 4 for shorter passages...)

For another example, refridgeration is not a necessity but a luxury. Nonetheless, a well insulated (vacuum?) icebox and some big blocks of ice (maybe even some dry ice?) ought to keep me in fresh food for the first week. Without a refer or a watermaker, I shouldn''t need to run the engine as a generator (perhaps solar and wind power can keep up with the energy needs for communications, navigation, and self-steering); and if the boat sails well, how much fuel do I really need to carry? In any case, our experience in Newfoundland was that, although not necessarily a desirable way to spend your time, lugging jugs can be a good way to meet the locals! ;-)

But back to the question of boat choice -- what about something like the C&C 35 (Mk 1) or maybe an S2 10.3 as more moderate alternatives to the J35?

Regards,

Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook