SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing Expedition?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  duffer1960 
#1 ·
So here''s my story... I''m 25 and love the outdoors. I graduated college 3 years ago and took off for Europe for 2 months 2 days after I graduated. I got a job doing Research trying to figure out what I want to do w/my life. I am now beginning Pharmacy School this fall and want to take another adventure before I begin. I am finished with my job in June and begin school in Early September. I have always wanted to sail/learn to sail something along those lines. I''m debating on what to do. I also am entertaining the idea of taking an expedition to Alaska or someother remote area, but sailing would be my top choice.
IDEALLY, I would love to spend a 3 weeks or more on the water, learning to sail while enjoying all that sailing and the open water has to offer. I am currently searching for companies that offer this, but am coming up short. I''d even join an individual/s, or whatever else is out there.
I am seeking any advice, information, or anything related to this topic that anyone has!

Thanks
Tom

#2 ·
If you find a company that offers 3 week courses on the water paying employees to learn how to sail, please let me know. This board is full of people who would like to be paid to go sailing. No one is going to pay you to LEARN how to sail.

You want adventure and are going to pharmacy school? If you want to get paid to be an adventurer you are going to have to pay your dues and sign on for whatever you can for probably no money - more likely you will have to kick in money to finance the adventure. Build a reputation and maybe someone will actually pay you to have fun.

Dreams are great, but yours is going to require a lot of sacrifice.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Just FYI.... i''m not looking for someone to pay me to sail. I''m willing to pay for the adventure, thats not the issue. I understand that this will cost money. I would just like a month long excursion, paying for it of course, learning to sail, etc... before I attend pharmacy school...

#4 ·
If you go to features/browse by author and search under John Kretschmer, you will find in one of his articles that you can pay to go with him on a delivery. He brings boats all over and I would imagine that at this time of year many of the trips would be from the Carib to the Northeast. The article has his contact info, or look around the Sailnet site, they probably have his address.

#5 ·
I misunderstood and apologize for my response which was a bit sarcastic.

Check yacht club bulletin boards in your area and put up a card offering your services as crew. It is not uncommen for cruisers or racers to look for crew. It may not be 3 weeks, but it is worth a shot. Where is your location?

#6 ·
welchtom,
You may be able to find something by checking yacht club bulletin boards, or you might look into the "Baha haha" cruisers rally that leaves around halloween - usually a number of cruisers that do this are looking for crew to meet the organizers'' requirements.
there are a few places I have come across that offer what you are looking for $$$ check out www.mahina.com - have heard good things about their program, but quite expensive. Also www.worldwidesailingadventures.com - I have done the Hawaii-Victoria leg with them and recommend it.
good luck

#7 ·
This is probably exactly what you are looking for. This guy sails around and picks up crew in different ports for different stages of the journey. A coworker cruised the Greek Islands with them last summer.
http://www.homestead.com/wallabycreek/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.