SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane season in Florida
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2001

zepproxx is on a distinguished road
Hurricane season in Florida

I have lived in florida for 37 years which is all my life. Don''t let a bunch of hype about hurricanes scare you. I think if you see a hurricane coming you should drop what your doing and get home and secure your boat. Hurricanes are very serious and you should heed all warnings I have been through a few myself. Just how safe your boat is depends on so many things. I prefer to dock my 28 morgan behind a private home wich is on a small canal that takes a few turns of the ICW. When a storm approaches we all move or boats to the middle of the canal and tie off on each others docks and anything else we can find to tie to. I''m no expert but I''ve seen a lot of pictures of boats tied up in marinas piled up after a storm. If the boat owner in the next slip does''nt take the proper care then your boat can''t be very safe no matter what you do. I feel where I''m at is safer than many marinas in the area. Also its much cheaper for me than a marina. I say just find what you feel to be the safest dock, pay your insurance, and enjoy your boat like the rest of us do here in beautiful sunny south florida. If tragedy strikes you can allways get another boat and fall in love all over again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook