SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newport 28 - adding stern perch seats
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009

jharrigan is on a distinguished road
Stern Rail Perch Seats

Drew,

I'm looking at constructing some stern rail perch seats in the next few weeks for my 1978 Newport 28. I realize this is nearly two years after the post, but better late then never. What I am planning to do (based largely off the Good Old Boat article) is to construct them out of 3/4" UHMW plastic or HDPE. Both are fairly expensive as sheets, and the latter has some UV issues, but is plenty strong.

The plan is to make the base sit over the rail to distribute the weight, and have another "U" shaped piece mirroring the base about 6-8" above. I plan to use either stainless steel rod or solid plastic rod for the transitions. It should be plenty of support to keep you in the boat during a sail, so long as you keep your feet on the deck.

I have a CNC I plan to cut these with when I get the final design figured out. If anyone is interested, cutting additional pieces will be a snap (and they will actually fit!). I'd be happy to cut a few extra sets if you cover the shipping and the material. The plastic (HDPE anyway) is pretty heavy stuff, so the shipping cost a little...but I will let you know well before I cut the second set.

James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook