SailNet Community - View Single Post - pilot house
Thread: pilot house
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
pilot house

Irwin32
Late last season (November), my wife and I closed on a Nauticat 33 Pilothouse Motorsailor. This decision was made after a careful review of most options available within our price range and feel we made the right choice.

Neither of us ever get motion sickness, so our requirements differed somewhat from yours. However, my wife and I very much enjoy the 360 degree visibility from the pilothouse, especially with the generous comfortable settees, teak tables and large chart table. An additional dinette for 6 is below in the salon (convertable to a full sleeper) as well as full headroom in fore and aft staterooms, each with ensuite heads. If you don''t like teak, don''t consider a Nauticat . . . it''s everywhere, but very well crafted.

The pilothouse''s huge overhead sliding hatch, large port/starboard sliding doors and great expanses of glass windows on all sides, create the sensory effect of being above deck (which we are), but provide a full range of variable shelter from all elements.

With a dual station on the aft (poop) deck, the helmsman can singlehand the sails, solo power or motorsail . . . if the crew decides to enjoy the comforts the pilothouse and cabins below provide. Although I have little sailing experience on this new-to-me boat, during a long tack in foul weather, I anticipate being able to check sail trim through the large hatch, while comfortably piloting the boat from the wheelhouse.

Perhaps you should contact a broker for a test sail and find out for sure, but my sense is your wife would be more comfortable.

Best, Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook