SailNet Community - View Single Post - low-budget performance passage-maker
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
low-budget performance passage-maker

Dave, I reach a different conclusion about the I36 than Paul does. First, both the Tahiti run and a crossing from Bermuda to the Med are relatively easy in-season passages, presuming you have some ability to gather on-board real-time weather f''cast products and understand how to use them. It''s a different story if you take a more northerly route across the Atlantic, but you would know that going in.

I36 boats sail well and were relatively simple in systems and layout by today''s standards. Your issues would be the rudder and all the ''consumables'' with finite life spans (engine, tanks, rig, steering, ports, etc.). Paul''s point that you can spend tons of money on upgrading is true...but not mandated. When I''ve had access to West Coast periodicals, it seemed to me there were always a few I36''s that had been partially refurb''d, had been used in the light SoCal airs, and would be worth looking at more closely. That being said, there are a LOT of ways a 30 year old boat can cost you money, and a basic thumbrule would be to shop caefully & keep the boat simple.

At least you can sail the I36 back from the Med or even N Europe via Biscay, Iberia, etc. In the Pacific, I think it''s time to call Dockwise...or better yet, see what boat shoppers in Oz or NZ think of her.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook