SailNet Community - View Single Post - refrigeration
Thread: refrigeration
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005

jimdsr is on a distinguished road
refrigeration

Jack - thanks for the real world experience feed back on holding plate vs evaporator current use. I am designing an on board refrigeration system, and have always liked the idea of the storage capacity of a holding plate, and your experiences support my hunches. I have two questions for you. In my research, I have learned holding plate characteristics can vary. Plates like those from Isotherm or Frigoboat freeze down to around 12 degrees above zero farenheit, while plates like those from Technautics or E-Z Kold freeze down much lower - to minus 13 degrees farenheit. First question: in your findings of 55-60amp/hrs vs 30-35amp/hrs, which temperature range plates were you observing? Second: with the holding plates that freeze around 12degrees above zero, has this proved adequate for a meaningful freezer space/performance - even a small one at one to two cubic feet - or is it really too close to 32degrees farenheit, and will only freeze items directly touching the plate? (R30 plus insulation is a given here). Jim D.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook