SailNet Community - View Single Post - keel / draft questions
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005

fng is on a distinguished road
keel / draft questions

thanks for the reply Silmaril. appreciate the info and advice. I understand there are differences in vessels of the same overall specs. the more i look the more i understand that fact very well. lol. have to admit, finding the proper boat is way more complicated then i first thought. seems the more i learn, the more confused i get.

The west coast does have more light wind than heavy. Although, up around the Channel islands and even out at Catalina, the wind can kick up pretty good. By good, i mean over 25 knots. Not sure if this is heavy where you are or not. Guess it could be called moderate, or even fun by someone whos an experienced sailer. Don''t think im ready for 25 or 30 knot winds just yet. At least not intentionally.

one more question?? what would you consider a nominal weight for a boat in the 28-32 foot range for coastal and short offshore sailing?? thats another thing that kind of confuses me. im certified for sailing in the bay, and soon for coastal. i asked my instructor about going to Catalina island on the 104 certification. Nope, thats offshore. on a clear day you can see it from the hills in malibu, and thats considered offshore?? at any rate , thats the kind of limited offshore im talking about.

Anyway, thanks again for your help. Advice noted and heeded. best regards, j.d.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook