SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Sorry you feel that way.Im no elitist and respect you and your opinions as a fellow boater.
Truly, I believe a mac has its puposes and im sure they serve them well as I can see you and others in this thread love your boats.When i say "just as good", im referring to sailing ability.
However, as far as sailing goes I think a mac would have as hard of a time keeping up to say, a j24 as a vespa catching up to a kawasaki ninja.
I personally have never seen a mac involved in any club races or even flying a spinnaker for that matter.
People who are buying boats with sailing put first do not buy macs.
My brother has a powerboat and so do some of my freinds with boats.
They also go on about how they got to the marina or anchorage first and like to run cirlces around me when out on the water and make a point to have the bbq running and beer in hand by the time I get there.
They also anchor in 4 feet of water while im a dinghy ride from shore and are tied to the dock playing cards while im still returning in a storm.Good for them.
However, I like to sail.
I dont like the smell and sound of an engine when im in that zone.
Personally, I dont care how fast I get there because im already where I want to be.I wait all week to get on my boat,not to get somewhere and get off it.When at anchor I dont want to leave sight of my boat.
The mac has made many sailors and their families happy for all the reasons you mentioned but I truly believe that if someone wants a boat for the thrill of sailing and has learned to sail a laser or even a j boat and then sailed on a mac afterwards they would think twice.
But your absolutely right, a mac sounds like a good boat, if you buy it for the right reasons.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 06-18-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook