SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portugese coast and passage planning
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009

Yofy is on a distinguished road
As I first posted here and as a courtesy to other forum members who one day may search for this information too, here is the gist of the advice that I received from Gui at the other forum:

There are only 2 fish farms along the portuguese coast. Both are situated at 12 and 25 miles East of Faro, almost at the Spanish border and are between 3 and 7 miles off the coast.

You can sail safely between the 7 and 25 mile line from the coast, anywhere.

Between Porto and Lisbon, be careful with the Berlengas islands, as they are true death traps, other than that, its a nice safe sail.

As a rule every day between 5pm and 7 pm, North winds blow up to 35 knots. (This is good for me because I will be heading south in a catamaran!)

Valiente, I have read that the Atlantic coasts of Portugal and Spain are heavily fished, so I am preparing for a sharp lookout on night watch. I think I will follow Guis advice and head out to around 25 miles offshore.

After my passage I'll post an update, but it might not be till the end of the summer .

Manny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook