SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hammock Netting ...
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
UV resistance is the main thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Question for all you knot heads ..

I want to make or purchase some heavy duty netting for use in a hammock and I would like to know more about what the best material to use is and which knots to use in its construction. I have been reading a bit about it and it looks like the preferred knot for making fishing nets is a sheet bend, or a double sheet bend, and I think I can figure that part out, but what is the best cordage to use ? I would want to end up with a net that is strong and doesn't stretch too much or not at all, and something that can stand up to years of heavy use, maybe nylon ?
For example, the West Marine hammocks and life-line net don't last more than a few years in the sun. I have taken to using soccer goal netting for life lines - lasts MUCH longer.

Polyester is generally more uv resistant than nylon, and dark colors are better too.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook