SailNet Community - View Single Post - shore power battery charger
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009
Aura Columbia 30

Boondoggle30 is on a distinguished road
Killed my charging system??

So I'm still learning... haven't run into anything but stupidity and experience are tough teachers.

Today was my first 'solo' without anyone along who knows what the %#$% sailing is about (only 2 passengers, one my wife!).

Up to now my 'teacher' has had a series of duties and I have the lion's share (being the student). Well today I forgot to do one of the duties he NORMALLY does FOR ME...

I started the engine and put it to idle... left it running for about 4 minutes and noticed that I was still on shore power.

Yes ouch. I immediately killed the engine, unhooked from shore and carried on. Once we returned (an ugly approach to the slip!) and were back on shore power I switched the batteries to all banks (starter and house) and then selected "test" and the power meter went into the green and 'charge' area. Now without knowing how the boat is wired (because I can't tell you!) did I fry my charging system??!! How can I tell??

I left the shore power plugged in over night and the frig is running. I figure that if the system is N/S then the frig will drain the house batteries and show me the error of my ways.

Suggestions??

If you think experience is good teacher... try stupidity.

Al
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook