SailNet Community - View Single Post - refrigeration
Thread: refrigeration
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
refrigeration

That is why I asked about the Waeco unit in my eariler post.

I currently have an old dual circuit Fleming Marine unit with twin hold over plates. One circuit is for the engine driven/water cooled unit (which is awsome), and the other is for a 110v AC, air-cooled condensing unit, which has been ok until we began cruising. It draws too much power for running with out shore power - something like 100amps off of my inverter. Plus, it cools much slower than the engine driven unit. Both, however can freeze my box, to the point where I have partitioned off one plate for use as a freezer. It can actually freeze meats in the FL Keys, as well as freeze my beer.

However, the 110v condensing unit has developed a a bad leak and no longer holds and adaquate charge. The engine unit is good, but I don''t like running the engine just to cool the box.

I have a friend with the same boat (Westsail 32) and box (9 cu. ft) who has had great luck with a norcold conversion unit. I don''t know which condenser unit it uses, but it only draws 4 amps and is self tending. He is very happy with it.

Point of all this is that it makes sense to me to convert over to a newer unit that draws less power and is more self tending than what I have. The water cooled Danfoss unit seems to make sense in my situation.

Opinions?

Could I adapt at newer 12 volt unit to replace the old 110 volt electric unit and keep my hold over plates intact? Assuming, of course, the leak is not inside the plates.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook