SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need a reality check, please
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009

OhioTom is on a distinguished road
I need a reality check, please

Hi,

I have a project boat and would like a reality check on my plan from those with experience.

I bought a 1976 Soverel 26 on a whim eight years ago. I reglassed and painted the hull before I moved, started having children, and forgot about her. The boat has been sitting, neglected, at my parents' for the past eight years. My children are now in school, my wife is back to work, and I now live at a house with a very large concrete driveway/parking lot in which to work (the previous owner had a huge RV). I'll be moving the boat here on July 1st.

My goal is to get her in the water May 1st, 2011.

The boat's current condition: The hull is excellent. The deck is the biggest problem. It has two large areas which will need recored. All the deck hardware needs to be re-mounted (properly). The inboard diesel is shot. There is a ton of deck hardware in good condition - it seems to be state of the art 1990's racing gear. Honestly, I could probably strip her and sell off the deck hardware for a good profit. The standing rigging is in decent condition and the running rigging is serviceable - sort of. The sails are good. I have seven, all 1990's era kevlar racing sails. The main is in good shape, I have 2 #1 genoa's - one is about 50%, the other looks unused. The #2, #3, and #4 all look new. The electrical system is junk and needs completely redone.

My plan:

2009: - Remove the diesel, re-core the deck, re-paint the deck, re-mount the deck hardware.
2010: - Finish re-mounting deck hardware (if not done), re-paint topsides, bottom paint, replace electrical system (I'll convert to an outboard and just have one battery with shore power recharge for minimal electrics).
2011: - Put her in the water, step the mast, replace running rigging, install outboard

I've never rehabbed a boat but I've rehabbed several houses over the past few years, so I'm pretty good with project planning and knowing what I can accomplish. The biggest single ticket item will be the outboard as I'll probably spring for a new one (thinking Suzuki).

I'm not looking to restore but to renovate. I want to do what I need (and little more) to get her on the water. I'll deal with "nice to have" later. My budget is pretty minimal until 2011 and then I'll have a significant jump in disposable income (allowing the new outboard, dockage, rigging, etc)

Those who have done similar, does my plan look feasible enough? Any tips or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook