SailNet Community - View Single Post - bilge cleaner recs...
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
No, if there is oil involved, no product may be discharged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
PS just did a comparison and several products got favorable mentions. I know the Starbrite Citrus was on the list and thats what I bought to attack the horrible sludge my bilge accumulated over the winter. Its pretty effective stuff and you'll need to wear gloves for the scrubbing.

I added product to the nasty bilge water, scrubbed, bailed out the smuck and then rinsed with fresh water and the bilge was vastly improved. However, I then left some of the cleaner with freshwater to continue working. It will supposedly eventually eat the remaining accumulated grease and oil.

I don't think any of this products should be pumped into the bay though.

Even if the product makes the oil "appear" to vanish, it is still there and the regulation specifically forbid using soap/detergents to make oil apear to disapear.

There are a few products that claim they can "eat" the oil in the short time it takes to clean the bilge. Bacteria don't work that fast. Common sense. In a matter of weeks, sure, that is possible. Otherwise, without convincing 3rd party proof, it smells of snake oil.

However, if the amount of oil is very modest (stains and a few streaks) it can go into the blackwater tank for on-shore pump-out. Up to a few hundred ppm oil (as delivered) will not tax the treatment plant.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook