SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2001

Libby is on a distinguished road
Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers

Dear Jack. Thank you for such a thoughtful and thorough response to my question. I am happy to say that I have made some progress. I moved to Maine, and am currently a rigger in a boat yard. I have found this to be an excellent way to bridge the gap I was experiencing at the time of my posting. You are right: it is easy to find people to sail with around boat yards and yacht clubs. I now regularly sail 30+ ft. boats a couple of times a week, 1/2 cruising and 1/2 racing. I have actually decided to hold off until the fall to purchase a boat, and am looking for sturdy roomy cruisers in the $10K minimum to $30K maximum range. Thank you for the suggestion regarding the Vega. There is an incredible Vega 35-40 footer where I work, and its interior is like a ballroom--it is the most spacious I have seen. I will definately keep my eyes open for their designs. Another boat I have been considering in the $30K - $60K (mortgage) range is the Westsail 32. They seem like a good liveaboard until I am skilled enough for longer cruises, and from what I have read they are very seaworthy, but sluggish sailors. I am more interested in safety over speed, (although I am familiar with the faster is safer philosophy). But, after sailing my Laser and other people''s JBoats all summer, I may change my mind! Happy sailing. Thanks again for all of your comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook