SailNet Community - View Single Post - bilge cleaner recs...
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Even if the product makes the oil "appear" to vanish, it is still there and the regulation specifically forbid using soap/detergents to make oil apear to disapear..
Not sure what regulations you are talking about that apply to my blige. I clearly stated that I don't pump the stuff overboard, going to lengths to dispose of it at the approved facility at the country dump. The issue is more the oily water than the product, which is claimed to be safe for the environment.

Quote:
There are a few products that claim they can "eat" the oil in the short time it takes to clean the bilge. Bacteria don't work that fast. Common sense. In a matter of weeks, sure, that is possible. Otherwise, without convincing 3rd party proof, it smells of snake oil..
That is why you leave some in the bilge after scrubbing, so it has time to work.

Quote:
However, if the amount of oil is very modest (stains and a few streaks) it can go into the blackwater tank for on-shore pump-out. Up to a few hundred ppm oil (as delivered) will not tax the treatment plant.
I have no idea how you'd determine if the amount of oil in your bilgewater would wreck a public sewer system and our marina is on a septic system anyway, so you'd just be putting it in the ground water. We just do the "green" thing and take it to an approved disposal location.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook