SailNet Community - View Single Post - refrigeration
Thread: refrigeration
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
refrigeration

Hi RLK,

Thanks for your informative reply. Your information is straight forward and directly answers many of the questions I have. I sure appreciate it.

I haven''t been able to see your slide show (software issue on my end). I''ll be happy to move this discussion over to your forum, but thought it appropriate to respond here first.

I can add a little more light on my situation. My "shore-power" system is a 1984, off-the-self, air cooled condensing unit (model 2314 sticks in my mind). It uses 1/8" copper flare fittings and pumped R-12. Both it and the engine unit were "dead" when I got the boat. I reinstalled the engine unit (sanden 505) and charged both systems. The engine side has been great. The electric unit has always needed help. With the lack of consumer available R-12, I opted to use aftermarket Enviro-Safe product with good success. The last charge had a dye-charge in it, so I''ll go and start looking for leaks on the electric side.

So, from your last post, I take it that I can in fact remove the electric unit and install a danforth type 12 volt condensing unit, assuming everything else is good. That would be excellent, as I have had great luck with the hold-over plate set up and I don''t mind charging when the engine is running. When cruising, I run the engine enough to handle the bulk of work, but would like to avoid running the engine at anchor just to cool the box. At 30-50 (or even 80) amps a day, with my solar panels and soon to be added wind generator, I should be able to go two or three days w/o out running the engine. That is my real goal here. Off the inverter, my electric unit draws 100a/hour.

See you on your web site.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook