SailNet Community - View Single Post - Free Boat? Wooden, hmm, Just come get it? hmm..
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
While I am generally a big fan of traditional wooden boats, I would say that as you describe this one, it makes little sense. First of all, a 25 foot boat is not all that hard to own and restore but you need to know what you are doing. If previously reasonably well maintained, and owned by a knowledgable owner, they are not all that hard to maintain and can be repaired almost forever. A well built, and well maintained wooden boat will easily outlast its plastic counterpart. But those are two very important phrases.

If you are someone who is a jack of all trades, good with your hands, have a good set of hand tools, has lots of stick-to-it-ness and genuinely likes working on big projects, then this might be more reasonable, but only if its a good boat to begin with....And there is the rub.

A reasonably well built, decent sailing wooden 25 footer would weigh somewhere between 4200 lbs (folkboat) to 6500 lbs (Vertue). That says that either the owner knows nothing about this boat, or else she is way too heavy for her own good.

There are great old wooden boats out there worthy of the effort, but here you are dealing with an unknown design, that was left unloved and uncared for trying to restore it with with minimal existing skills. Off hand that's just not a good idea.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook