SailNet Community - View Single Post - To buy or to rent, that is the question...
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2001

quicksilver is on a distinguished road
To buy or to rent, that is the question...

Thanks again John. I will certainly read and understand all the fine print before I agree to anything these charter companies are pitching me.

Thanks for the alternate suggestions. I''m affraid, right or wrong, we''re kind of stuck on the "condo like" interiors. We realize, of course, that they come at a price. We just may have to bite the bullet and go for a newer and more expensive boat to get what we want.

We found at least one boat that is in absolute immaculate condition. It''s a 1972 Hughes 29. The boat was entirely restored to pristine, better than new condition by it''s current owner. He is selling it for 2/3 of the renovation price (I saw all the receipts) because he decided to sell his house (he''s retired) and live aboard in the Carribean instead of keeping the Hughes 29 and only sailing it on day and relatively short trips.

This boat is really in top shape and the price is right. The problem is that in is only 8.5 feet beam. A bit too confining for our tastes. It kills me to pass it up - especially since the present owner is such a nice man who has a genuine love for his boat as well as a deep desire that it end up in good hands.

Also, I''m about to look at a 1988 Bayfield 32 Cutter. It also sounds like it''s been babied by its only owner. Fresh water boat. It has wintered indoors every year (wow!). Lot''s of add on equipment and features. It''s considerably more expensive than the Hughes but it should offer more cabin and cockpit room. Not to mention how pretty a Bayfield cutter is with all that wood and bow sprit.

Do you know much about these boats? Any advice?

Decisions.... decisions.....

How can a sailor get anything done with all these work related interruptions?!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook